DISCOVER OUR HISTORY
HISTORY OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH TOMBALL
Click on the link to take a journey though our history!
First Baptist Church began during a revival under a Brush Arbor at Main Street and Walnut Street in October 1909. In 1914 the church bought 4 lots on the corner of Houston and Pine Streets. The church’s first sanctuary was built in 1921. Early baptisms were in Spring Creek.
In 1925 a parsonage was built and D.P. McGowan was hired as a full time pastor. The first Vacation Bible School at the church was held in 1936. In 1938 an indoor bap-tistery was built.
The first regular choir practice with orchestra began in 1941. The church library began on a shelf in the Pastor’s Study. In 1946, the church added to its staff, a part time sec-retary was hired and also a Music Director.
In 1969, FBC celebrated its 60th anniversary. Stained glass windows were installed in the sanctuary. A two-story metal building was built which housed the choir room, library, classrooms and a youth room.
A two-story brick building was built in 1958. The downstairs was used for nursery care and the upstairs was left vacant. In 1961 FBC fa-cilities were used by Tomball Independent School district after a fire destroyed the High School on Main Street.
In 1949 FBC built its 2nd sanctuary at a cost of $50,000. A chapel wing, Youth Department, Pastor Study and two Junior Departments for Sunday School were also built.
In 1973, the First Baptist Child Care opened, Wednesday night suppers and Children’s Church was began. The Family Life Activity Center was built in 1975. Facilities included a gym, youth rooms and a kitchen.
In 1982-1983 two morning services began, the “Keen Age Khoir was organized and a Spanish Mission began holding services in the Chapel.
In late 2009, FBC began construction of an Open Air Worship Facility at the 29100 Campus.
In 2002, the church voted to purchase 32.6 acres at 29100 Tomball Parkway.
In 1994, after a severe flood in the area, the Baptist Men of Texas and Oklahoma Relief Team set up emergency facilities on church grounds. Hundreds of meals were prepared, some of which were served in the area by the Red Cross.The current sanctuary was completed in 1985.
FBC’s 100th Anniversary Celebration was held October 4, 2009.
“As First Baptist reflects on our past and the great work God has done in the previous 101 years we anticipate even greater evidence of the presence of God as we move forward to accomplish the mission He has given us.”